Monday, March 4, 2019

Philosophical Maxims Updated for Freelancers





Philosophical Maxims Updated for Freelancers

The unexamined life is not worth billing time for.
I think, therefore I napped three times today.
A journey of a thousand invoices begins with one busy client who’s “just been super slammed but will definitely pay you soon.”
We live in the best of all possible worlds if we get to experience the faint warmth of standing next to another human at least once a week and discussing “Game of Thrones.”
Imagination is more important than knowledge, for imagination allows you to pretend that you have a Roth I.R.A., whatever that is.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but also definitely worth more than the twenty-five dollars per hour that I’m charging because demanding the market rate makes me feel vulnerable.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make him think that I’m doing this Skype call with the bottom half of this business-casual outfit on.
Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forwarding rejection e-mails to your parents and asking, “Did you guys already turn my old room into a Pilates studio?”
Strong minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Weak minds discuss what a Roth I.R.A. is.
The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is figuring out when you can nap for the fourth time today.
We are what we repeatedly do. Waiting until the last second before drinking six coffees to meet a deadline, then, is not an act but a serious problem.
The life of a freelancer is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short on the rent.
The only thing I know is that I know nothing is going to be done about the poet at this WeWork who keeps stealing my Lean Cuisines.
Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains when his bed is a Pilates machine used by two sexagenarians.
One cannot step in the same river twice, but one can pitch the same idea again with a new PowerPoint background and hope that his client won’t notice.
Man is condemned to never understand what a Roth I.R.A. is.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have health insurance.
    Sign up for the Daily Humor newsletter and get The New Yorker cartoons and Shouts—plus more funny stuff—every day in your in-box!
    Video
    All Things Gross and Small
    Emma and Colin peruse cartoons about the oft-overlooked and underfoot vermin of New York.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment