Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Things for Cold Weather Running




5 Cheap(ish) Things for Cold Weather Running

Brrrrr.
CreditKarsten Moran for The New York Times
Image
CreditCreditKarsten Moran for The New York Times
Welcome to the Smarter Living newsletter! Sign up here to get tips and advice for living a better, more fulfilling life delivered to your inbox.
Welcome to winter, my favorite time of year to run! No sweating through my running top, no sun trying to burn my scalp — well, at least here in New Jersey.
Winter running is not without its challenges though. In collaboration with Wirecutter, a New York Times company that reviews and recommends products, here are five cheap(ish) things that’ll keep you warm when running in frightful temperatures.
Hand warmers
Sometime it’s just too cold for gloves to keep your fingertips warm, which is where hand warmers come in. I used a pair of disposable Hot Hands (which you can get at just about any drug and hardware store) for all but two miles of the Philadelphia Marathon this year.
ADVERTISEMENT
For reusable warmers, Wirecutter recommends the Human Creations EnergyFlux Ellipes 5200mAh, which can last up to six hours with one charge.
Lip balm
As much as I like crisp, cold winter air, my lips do not. That’s why I apply lip balm before and after I go out the door — and on super cold days, around my nostrils. Like Wirecutter, I like Aquaphor, but Vaseline works in a pinch too.
This is your last free article.
Subscribe to The Times
Reflective vest
If you’re getting miles before or after work in the long darkness of winter, you’ll need to alert cars to your presence. The Amphipod Xinglet Vest is a reflector vest that lights you up in a way that’s not too bulky, and designed to fit you so it doesn’t muck up your running motion. Be bright. We want you to stick around, you hear?
Ear warmers
Like the tip of my nose, the tips of my ears do not like the winter all that much. Wool is all the rage in running gear right now, but I’m allergic, so I wear a Buff ear warmer with a microfleece lining, which can double as a neck warmer too.
If you don’t have a wool allergy, Wirecutter recommends the SmartwoolPhD HyFi Training Headband. And for super cold and windy days when just covering my ears is not enough? It’s balaclava time.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mittens
They’re not just for kids! They’re for giving your fingertips an extra layer of protection. I’m digging the Brooks Threshold gloves, which has a wee little pocket on the back of the glove that holds a flap to turn the gloves into mittens.
But for super cold days, when sweat freezes on my eyelashes, I go all in: REI Co-op Tahoma mittens, which lean more toward ski mittens. I may look goofy, but my fingers stay nice and warm.
How to Save for College Where should you begin? Right here.
Why You Start Things You’ll Never Finish One solution: Start fewer things.
How to Finally Write Your Nonfiction Book No, it will not be easy. Yes, it will be rewarding. (Eventually.)
Great Gifts for Kids (and What Makes Them Great) Wirecutter’s kid-tested, parent-and-teacher-approved gift ideas for toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary schoolers.
This week I’ve invited writer Kate Oczypok to share some tech that will make the holidays a little easier.
There’s nothing I love more than the holiday season. My obsession with the time between Halloween and Christmas is so great that I am one of those people — I love to get my shopping done in September so I can sit back and truly enjoy the season.
ADVERTISEMENT
But I know the holidays can become a source of stress and chaos in many people’s lives. Anything to make life simpler this time of year is welcomed in my world (and I’m sure many others!).
Here are five easy ways to simplify things this holiday season.
Delivery services
If you want to leave the trip to a Christmas tree farm to your neighborhood Clark Griswold, a family-owned, Wisconsin-based business is offering tree delivery. ChristmasTreesNow.com is offering Fraser and Douglas firs as well as fresh holiday wreaths.
Capturing memories
Skip the professional photographer and do your own holiday card and capture your holiday memories with a solid digital camera. Wirecutter, a New York Times company that reviews and recommends products, chose the Canon EOS 80D as its favorite Canon DSLR. As an owner of a Canon DSLR myself, I’m already setting aside money to upgrade to the 80D.
Robot vacuum
Who really has time to clean over the holidays? Leave the messes to your new robot best friend, the Eufy RoboVac 11S, Wirecutter’s favorite robot vacuum. It cleans beautifully, and it’s amusing to watch your pet stare quizzically at it as it darts around the floor.
Fitness tracker
The holidays are an easy time to overindulge and end up feeling downright gross by January. If keeping your nutrition on track is on your mind this season, Wirecutter recommends the Garmin Vívosport as the best fitness tracker.
Its display is always visible making the tracker hard to forget about. The automatic exercise detection is a great plus too — perfect for those impromptu post-dinner walks or holiday snowball fights with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment