Thursday, September 15, 2016

Art & Culture | Collaging fashion with 70s science and nature books








We really like Anna Bu Kliewer’s collages. We asked her some questions to learn more about her process, her source material and her experience of studying at CSM.
Follow her on Instagtram @annabukliewer and check out her blog here.
What is it about the medium of collage that you enjoy?
Collage is very much based on chance and intuition, it is playful and open-ended. Using scissors and glue makes it hands on, you decide what will leave and remain in the image. I enjoy it because it does not start with a plan, you let your subconscious and current mood guide the process. You work on images that catch your eye and add smaller pieces that ‘make sense’. The only restrictions are size and colour, otherwise you can create whatever you like. You let your subconscious and current mood guide. What I also like about collage is that you create a new abstract reality and can be humorous and serious at the same time, it leaves room for interpretation for the viewer.






Where do you find your source material from?
My material is a mix of vintage books from the 40s-80s and more contemporary fashion magazines. I travel a lot, so my material collection consists of finds from different parts of the world like Germany, South Africa and London. Science and nature books from the 70s are possibly my favourite as the colours have a certain tone and while sourcing for pieces to cut out I get to read and learn new things.






Tell us about another collage piece that you thought was cool
B.D. Graft from Amsterdam creates pieces that I really like. He creates abstract pieces and the hues in his collages are very on point.
I particularly liked his @addyellow series on Instagram.






How was your experience of studying at CSM?
Studying at CSM was very laid back, it was about what you make out of it, so it taught me self-motivation.
If you were able to come up with a ‘wanky’ artist statement, you could make something in 20minutes and still pass, which I found a little frustrating. I did my Foundation Year at Emily Carr in Vancouver, Canada and was used to more criticism which pushed me further.
All in all I am unsure if it was worth £9000 a year.
However, there was a very important moment which pushed me further to collage: Collage was always part of my working process, but never really used as a finished piece. In one talk with my tutor I presented some collages and said I wanted to paint them. He asked why I wanted to paint and replicate them as they were already finished.
That stayed with me and I began to see and work on collage as a separate medium.
























Gallery

View all images



No comments:

Post a Comment